Isfahan is a city in central Iran. Located to the south of Tehran, it is considered by the locals as one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The ancient city and capital of Persia from 1598 to 1722, has long been known for its tapestries and silver carvings. Nowadays, textile and steel mills are gradually replacing. Its architecture, tree-lined boulevards and laid-back pace make it one of the highlights of Iranian cities. The capital of the province of Isfahan, and once the capital of the country, the Persians called it “NesfeJahan”, which means “half the world”.
The city is 430 km south of the capital Tehran, at the foot of the Zagros Mountains. The city has a mild climate and seasons of the year. Isfahan lies on the main North-South and East-West routes that cross Iran. It is similar to Denver of the United States in terms of elevation and precipitation.
By transferring his capital to Isfahan in 1598, Shah Abbas engendered the prosperity of this city. He devoted himself to the erection of palaces and mosques with such enthusiasm that Isfahan established itself in the 17th century as the most beautiful city in the world, all showmanship aside. The new city, designed according to a grandiose town planning, then experienced a period of exceptional wealth. The collapse in 1722 of the Safavid dynasty, heir to Shah Abbas, marked the decline of the city, reduced until today to the rank of provincial capital. But a capital of two million inhabitants, filled with the splendors of its glorious past!
it was called Shah Mosque before the Iranian revolution, Built during the Safavid period, it is an outstanding example of Islamic architecture of Iran and is considered a of the masterpieces of Persian architecture. Isfahan’s Shah Mosque is one of the eternal architectural masterpieces in Iran. It is inscribed together with Naghshe Jahan Square, as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its splendor is mainly due to the beauty of the seven-color mosaic tiles and the calligraphic inscriptions.
Ali Qapu palace
Ali Qapu (Royal Palace) Beginning in the 17th century. It is forty-eight meters high and has seven stories, each of which can be reached by a difficult spiral staircase. In the music room on the sixth floor, deep circular niches are found in the walls, which have not only aesthetic value but also acoustical value. It is rich in naturalist murals by Reza Abbassi, the court painter of Shah Abbas I, and his students. Features floral, animal and bird designs.
Chehel Sotoun Palace
Chehel Sotoun (Palace of Forty Columns) 1647: It is called the Palace of Forty Columns, because of its many columns, and in Iranian, 40 means a number. Incidentally, there are twenty columns, and these are reflected in the opposite group, which might also explain its name. The function of this palace is to host national religious ceremonies and royal festivals, and to host ambassadors and royal guests.
Vank Church (Church of the Holy Sisters) 17th century. The interior is covered with beautiful paintings and gilded carvings, and has rich tiled panels. The central dome is delicately painted in blue and gold to represent the biblical story of the creation of the world and the expulsion of man from the garden of Eden.